PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

MroonsReef
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone! I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a lurker on this site and others for a number of years, but thought it was time to get involved.

I started my saltwater tank about 7 years ago and have stumbled and bumbled along the way. But thanks to forums and sites like this one, I have learned much over the years which has kept me interested in continuing the hobby. I recently had a couple of major issues which could have ended my interest, but I'm stubborn, or extremelyaddicted, and have chosen to keep it going.

In early December, I came home late from work to find my 45 g tank's temperature was 96 (thermometer malfunctioned.) Lost almost every coral and one of my three fish. Went ahead and set it up again (wanting a larger tank, but so close to Christmas, didn't want to spend the $$.) Diligently watched the parameters and had added new coral and invertebrates when last Tuesday night, I heard a huge pop and saw water spewing from the tank. Cracked down the middle! Managed to save everything and ordered the larger tank...a 65g.

So just finished setting it up yesterday. All my animals are loving it! I am loving it! I'm planning to add more coral and a fish or two and an anemone to keep my 7 year old maroon clown happy. She's begun hosting in a bubble and a tiny torch frag I just bought a week ago. So I thought I'd get her a home to call her own.

So here's what I now have:

65g reef with a about 45 lbs live rock, 60 lbs of live sand. My 7 year old Maroon clown and 3 year old yellow tang have been playing well together for years and their playground includes a Christmas tree porite rock, purple ribbon gorgonian (both survived the December cookoffl!), green leather, star polyps, torch frag, green bubble coral, purple ricordia, greenish ricordia, fuzzy mushroom, seamat, brain coral. Their tankmates include 2 peppermint shrimp, fighting conch, and a serpent star. The tank has a HOT 12" Aguafuge refugium with Chaeto and a red mangrove, a Remora protein skimmer and two Maxi-jet powerheads. I am proud to also say that I built the 36" stand myself using the DIY instructions from GARF. Despite the heartache of losing a tank, it was so much fun putting this setup together.

I look forward to meeting some of you at the next meeting.

Diane

How did I get this addicted? I managed to get past so many additions in life, but this one has taken control!

Nautilus
02-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Diane,

Sounds like you've got a very nice tank and lot's of good experience to share. Looking forward to meeting you at our next meeting.

It's looking like there's quite a few new members that are filtering in and that's good news.

The club is really growing.

Look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Best regards,

Matt