PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Donovan

JUICE
05-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't think I ever posted a good hello when I joined the club here, so Here we go.
I am a native, from Orlando. I was in the military for about 6 years, and have only been back in Florida for about a year. Now I do structural steel design and fabrication.
I've been serious in the hobby for about 11 years now. I'm actually still a member of the Dallas/Fortworth Marine aquarium society, as well as an ORCA member.
I'm mostly into high light corals, especially very exotic stony corals. I have a 75 Gallon Frag tank in my office(2x400w MH) at work in winterpark....I'll be adding a 125G frag tank within the next month. I also have a 55g (5xT-5) tank and a 150G (3x250W) halide tank, and hopefully if my house get's approved, i'll be able to set up my 420G super reef at the beginning of the year '08.
I'm into aquacultering corals and generally have lots of really nice frags (you'll see a bunch in the upcoming auctions). I know how to frag just about any kind of coral and my sucess rate is usually better than 95%. I would be more than glad to share my experience with members and give pointers to newbies. Heck, if you wanna swing by sometime I'll throw some corals on the table in front of you. I am environmentally friendly. I do not buy anything directly from the ocean. Everything I have or will have started out as a frag from another tank, and all my fish and inverts are captive bred. We beat up our land for a few hundred years in this country and look around. Please don't beat up our oceans.

I hope I have as much fun in ORCA as I did in DFWMAS. I look foreward to the next few years, and would be glad to help out where I can.

Be sure to thank your president, the board, and everyone else that has lent a hand in making this club what it is. Most people don't realize the amount of work it takes to keep a club going, so please help out where you can. If everyone pitches in a little, everyone gets back alot!

Again, Hello all! I hope to meet lots of new people as I attend more and more meetings.

-Donovan

DJChesnutRabbit
05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi and welcome.
You sound like you certainly have it together. I'd love to learn some more on propagation and I have a chili coral I'd love to learn how to frag.

JUICE
05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
There are quite a number of great books out on coral propagation that will lay down all the basics. Chili corals are on the fragile side, but nothing a razorblade some liverock rubble and some string or maybe even a rubberband can't handle. Softies are defininatly the hardest to frag. I'd recommend getting your feet wet with a more hardy coral. Most people (myself included) tend to learn faster by trial and error, so start out cutting stuff you have extras of or stuff you wouldn't mind accidentally killing. The first time i fragged a leather coral I lost the frag and the colony and almost smoked my whole tank. The biggest key to fragging corals is exceptional water quality and good water flow along with a healthy specimen to begin with.

Happy fragging!
-Donovan

mwdennis
05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Donovan, thanks for the great corals you brought to the auction. The acros I bid on look great!

JUICE
05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Look foreward to better and better stuff in the auction. I'm glad you are happy with the frags. I really go the extra mile to make sure to bring nice colorful, healthy frags that are already attached and growing so that when it hits your tank it'll take off. My stuff maybe smaller than others in the auction, but I have taken off 1-2 months of time it would take to attach and start growing. I appreciate the feedback. If anyone has any questions about care of any of the corals i bring feel free. I also welcome feedback and critisism.

-Donovan

gwrench
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
You are the bomb Juice!!!!