PDA

View Full Version : Another New Guy

Cheekymonkey
08-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Hello Folks, my name is Josh, i'm living in Orlando for the last three years going to UCF.

I've always wanted a warm saltwater aquarium, as a kid I always had tropical freshwater tanks, and in highschool in Connecticut I had a cold saltwater tank which we collected the animals for ourselves form the local marshes.

I spend most of my time when i'm not in school either Scuba Diving or working, and my job happens to be scuba diving in the Aquarium at Epcot, so I figured it was time for me to have an aquarium of my own.

So right now I am just getting started, my stand gets delivered this monday, my setup going so far is a 120g AllGlass predrilled 48"x24"x24". I have an outerorbit light setup with metal halidesx2, T5 x4, and moonlights. Protein Skimmer is a Euroreef RS135, but none of this is set up at the moment of course until I get my stand.

Starting out with a FOWLR setup, hopefully to become a reef in the future when I am more comfortable with everything.

Looking foward to meeting you all at some point, and thank you the access to this wonderful forum.

Cheekymonkey
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Hrm, I have an additional question. I see that tommorow afternoon the club has its August Meeting.

Would it be appropriate for me to bring a membership form and club dues to the meeting, or do I need to be a registered member before attending a meeting?

JUICE
08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Absolutely come to the meeting! You can take care of the membership stuff there. Welcome to the club, my friend......you definitely picked out nice stuff for your soon to be reef tank. Heck you can throw some mushrooms and zoanthids in with your fish.....they're pretty durable. You definitely have the lighting to accommodate any corals you may like in the future.

I hope to see you tomorrow, and again.......Welcome!

~Donovan

Cheekymonkey
08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hrm I just got a call from work and they are going to need me tommorow.

I don't know how you run your meetings yet, what time do they normally run to, and is it frowned upon to come late? Otherwise I might have to make it the next time around, unless you have other events in between your meetings.

Thanks JUICE

Pterodactyl
08-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Josh,
I sent you a PM.

Cheekymonkey
08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replies...

Unfortunately I got stuck working, so I already requested your September meeting off so that I can come by, really looking foward to meeting some local people, and learning everything I can.

Thanks alot guys, will be chatting on here in the mean time I guess.

Cheekymonkey
08-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Very excited, tommorow morning my tank stand is in and I am going to start plumbing it.

If you guys don't mind me bothering for advice, I have two skimmers dropping water to the sump, the way my sump is set up ( I got it from a friend at the seas ) , we can't find a way to make the water pass through the Protein Skimmer only before it passes through the other media.

I was given bio balls to use, but I have heard mixed reviews, the way I'm looking at setting it up now is that one of the skimmers will dump to the protein skimmer side, and the other over the bioballs, with them both mixing at the bottom, therefore the skimmer will have access to both dumps.

In addition I have a RO/DI supposedly on its way from marine depot, but it was shipped direcdt from spectrapure so I have no ETA on it, but I have liverock and waht not on the way, as well as liverock from my friend running in a garbage can.

So I know this is an odd question, but might anyone be available to check out the plumbing at some point and see if it makes sense.

And secondly on the favor wise, could I pay someone to use their RO/DI if its not plugged into the house. I want to get water into the tank so my liverock has a place to go rather than dying, but 160G or so is alot to get 5g at a time from the LFS. If you have a RO/DI thats not plumbed into your house i'm happy to pay you per gallon to use it.

JUICE
08-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I tell you what! You just missed a fantastic meeting! The presentation was on DIY projects by a very knowledgeable member. I'm sure he could have addressed you questions and concerns on the spot.

As far as the RODI.....I have one laying around somewhere 75/GPD . But I"m not sure where it is. I'll look around when I get home and PM you if I find it. I'd be more than happy to let you borrow it so long as it gets back to me. Another route would be to go to a LFS or Wal-mart, or Publix where each have RODI systems. The TDS on the publix and wal-mart machines are a bit higher than my personal RODI, but I just cycled a tank with all store machine water and didn't have many problems. There's a play by play in the member aquariums forum. It does suck to carry 125 Gallons of water around in 5 gallon jugs. It took like 5 trips to Publix.

I hope this helps!
~D

Cheekymonkey
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Hrm the RODI problem has been solved they finally called me back and its arriving tommorow, in the mean time I have bulkhead issues with my sump :)...

Trying to find someone local now to help me, i'm a plumbing idiot, the sump consists of two acrylic containers, a main one and one I beleive is supposed to be a refugium. There are two seperate bulkheads held together by a threated pipe connecting them. As of right now the threaded pipe holds fine and exhibits no leaking, the seal around the bulkheads are a different story, right now i'm going to Home Depot to buy some expensive wrenches.. :(

Thanks for the update on the meeting Juice

JUICE
08-28-2007, 03:07 PM
No sweat buddy!

I'd give you a hand with your plumbing, but I'm a plumbing ******! When the plumbing started leaking on my 75G, I just capped the pipe from the tank and removed the refugium. Heck, when I set up my 125G, I already had a nice sump/refugium and skimmer, but decided to buy a new backpack refugium mostly so I wouldn't have to plumb anything....of course I also wanted a tank that I could walk away from for a week or two without messing with it.........that reminds me.......I need a vacation.

Come oooooooonnnnnnn Christmas time! :-D

~D

Cheekymonkey
08-28-2007, 04:32 PM
yikes, yea I'm still a little loss, I have the return fromt he tank to the sump plumbed now, although not glued yet. But still at a loss for the pump to the tank :(