PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all.

Gipsy
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
<----------Shiny new guy.

I moved back to Florida. After living abroad for a few years. Nothing makes you support your country more than a little overseas travel. :)

I am in the process of learning this hobby. I have a 29gal. My parameters are excellent. I have 30# of LR about 10 blue legs...I mean 9....(they are in the middle of a turf war.) And 10 turbo snails. Lots of purple Coraline sprouting everywhere... Will probably begin testing calcium and dosing as needed this week.

About me:
Occupation: Wizard. (It is something that is not easy to digest. And even harder to put on a resume.) What it means is that I have been practicing the Yoga of the West for almost two decades...full time. BTW I am not superstitious and in fact very "Agnostic". (To me wizardry or Magik is about taming your own mind and learning to better yourself... it is the original unadulterated self-help technique. It has nothing to do with spirits or the paranormal- those things are just part of its lore and poetic language...)

I am married, with children, enjoy cycling, the outdoors, hot and spicy foods, and love to watch boxing matches on HBO or ESPN (Not very enlightening, but I love it).

I listen to power metal. Unless I'm doing tank maintenance. When doing water changes or messing with the tank I usually have some Pink floyd, Cream (Eric Clapton), or Carlos Santana, or other rocking but soothing guitar sounds. It was a habit I have from my freshwater years.

I would like to learn more about ORCA and its local activities. What is the organization like?

Nice meeting you all... and plz don't get too annoyed by my rookie questions... especially if they are repetitive because I tend to ask the same thing over and over... It might be a way to make sure the information I received is the correct one...or it is just my way of being annoying... ;)

Eric.

Cheekymonkey
08-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey Eric, I just started posting here a few days ago myself, and I have to say this is an incredibly friendly bunch of people.

So welcome from the other new guy :)

Gipsy
08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
thanks
Eric.

JUICE
08-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Eric!

This club was formed in January of 2004. The purpose of the club is as follows:

(Section 2.1.1 of the ORCA By-Laws)

A. To promote interest in and enjoyment of all aspects of the marine aquarium hobby.

B. To educate the public on topics related to the biology, physiology, and chemistry of reef biotopes through the sponsorship of meetigs, lectures, publications, websites, competitions, exhibits and other means.

C. To provide a forum for sharing resources and information among local aquarium enthusiasts.

D. To support research, education, and conservation efforts aimed at improving marine and coral reef environments.

E. To involve and educate people about aquatic life and the aquarium hobby

F. To foster camaraderie, friendship, and appreciation of aquatic life.

That's pretty much what we're about. Digging a little deeper, basically we are a bunch of people that love the hobby that have fun getting together every month to bump shoulders, talk shop, have some eats and drinks, and get to know each other and learn from each other.

Our meetings usually take place at different members homes where they show off their personal tanks (thank you to everyone that has hosted one of our meetings) . They are on the last Saturday of every month, and generally open up for an hour or so to shake hands and get to know each other. Then we have a presentation on different topics. A few of the past have been on diving in natural reefs with great pictures and videos, one on different pests found in the reef aquaria, one on the laws of natural collection, and the most recent being a class on building DIY projects wit acrylic. After the presentation, we usually have a raffle with prizes like books, additives, test kits, assorted equipment, live rock....really much too much to list. There have been some really awesome raffle prizes. After the raffle we usually go into our frag auction where members can bring in frags of the corals from their tanks, or corals that they are tired of to let other members bid on their excess.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I've had a very enjoyable year this year, and it looks like it's only going to get better!

That being said. Welcome, my friend. I hope that you can come have some fun with us the rest of this year and years to come.

~D

Gipsy
08-29-2007, 08:58 AM
It sounds like a nice, educational, and fun experience. I will consider joining ORCA.

Can I join ORCA through the web. Pay membership dues and such? Just curious.

I am a beginner and having knowledgeablke people to turn to with questions is a plus. And making a few friends in the process cant hurt either.

Eric.

JUICE
08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure about joining via the web. I do know that you can print off the application, fill it out and bring the app. and the dues to any of our club meetings and take care of it there.

I hope to see you soon!

~D

Nautilus
09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi Eric and Welcome

Membership for ORCA now at years end is $10 for an individual and $12 for a family membership which is good until January.

If you join in January it's $20 for a single and $25 for a family membership.

At September's meeting see Mel (Membership director), Diane (Secretary) or Pam (Treasurer) for membership info. Or you can print up a membership form on the ORCA site and bring it with you.

email or pm me if you have any questions.

See you soon,

Matt
ORCA Pres. 2007