PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Couple

boothmk
10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Mike. My wife's name is Kelly. And recently for my birthday my wife bought me a 55 gallon fish tank. I was so excited and have not stopped being excited since I received the tank 4 weeks ago. I have always wanted a salt water fish tank so that I could enjoy the reef and marine fish experience.

I was at my LFS talking to one of the owners when a ORCA member approached me about this site. He gave me a business card and later that night I went and checked out this site. It looks really cool. I look forward to chatting with local reefers about experiences.

What is the difference between a member and one that registers at the site. I just registered but I read somewhere about being a member?

Well, my experince has just begun. I am cycling my tank now. The tank that I bought was used and came with a lot already. There was no coral or fish, but the live rock was still there and alive. So I have cleaned it up and the live rock is doing well, starting to get a lot of coralline algae :). I added some hermit crabs and Turbo snails 3 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I added a few damsles and last week I added a star fish.

Thats all for now. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Mike

WingnutSr
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Welcome Mike and Kelly! Glad you made it here. I am sure you will find this place quite helpful.
To answer your question, registering for the ORCA forum is different than registering for the ORCA club. If you read through some of the links, you will see that we have meetings and many other fun filled, and some times educational activities. By becoming an ORCA member, you will be entitled to join in on many of these. You CAN attend meetings without being a paid member. But again, membership has it's perks.
Sounds like it wont be long, and will be ready to start stocking that tank. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it, seeing you here on the boards and meeting you kids!
John

Cheekymonkey
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM
welcome dude glad to have you on board

Nautilus
10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Mike and Welcome.

You can find all the meeting location information along with other useful info under the club info link.

By the way, realizing this is very short notice;

ORCA is going on a Field trip tomorrow, with over 50 people now signed up. There is a couple who unfortunately can not go and has a pair of tickets they're trying to get rid of.
http://www.o-r-c-a.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=427

We could sign you and your wife up as a club member on Saturday of you want to take advantage of this great outing. Email me if you are interested at president@o-r-c-a.org

Matt Kantz
Orlando Reef Caretakers Association
ORCA President
Email president@o-r-c-a.org
Web www.o-r-c-a.org

bigginapk
10-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome Mike and Kelly! You guys will enjoy the club ! There is alot of great people here that has alot of knowledge and are willing to help.

boothmk
10-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have looked around a little on the site looks very helpful. I like the forum discussions a lot and getting to understand other peoples problems before i endevor in a similiar venture...

JUICE
10-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Mike and Kelly.

Are you planning on checking out the meeting on Saturday? If so, I'll see you there.

~D

Cheekymonkey
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
yea definently come by during the meeting you will have a ball