PDA

View Full Version : Hello ORCA

tankofindecision
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi everyone my boyfriend and I have just purchased a 6ft 125 gallon tank and custom stand. We had a 75 gal freshwater tank for about year and decide it was time to upgrade and enjoy this new hobby.

We look forward to the tips and advice people have. I am trying to find the best price and place to purchase live rock from. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have been quoted $2.99 for over 100+ all the way to $5.99. Is there a big difference all are cultured.

JUICE
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome aboard!

I think if you browse our sponsors page, you'll find many great places with excellent prices. Our sponsors give card holding club members 10% off dry goods....a few give us 20%.

~D

tankofindecision
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Should I be concerned if I am buying rock at $2.99 vs $5.99? Any tips or suggestion on buying rock is greatly appreciated.

Cheekymonkey
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea man all the sponsors will take good care of you on the rock, also keep an eye out for good deals from fellow reefers selling their excess.

fragger
02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hello,
The biggest mistake people make is to buy it online. Some get lucky some don't. If you want large rocks, medium rocks, or certain types to fit your aquarium, its always best to pick it yourself (because when you order it, sometimes you'll get rubble included). The best way to know how well the rock is cured, is by smell. Thats why I like to go to local stores and I can pick each piece individually and not pay for rock I don't want. And yes, our sponsors are a great place to start for this. Jump on the phone, give them a call and ask them what type they have. From Fiji to Haiti to Marshall Island - its all apples and oranges.
Really the best rock is the ones that have holes and crevices. Sometimes getting the ones with holes, you can get a larger rock, but its lighter (and cheaper) rather than a big dense rock that doesn't have a lot of places for the creatures to hide.
As far as prices, it varies from store to store for the same type rock, you'll just have to ask their prices, what type they have and how much they have of it. The more rock they have, the better the selection.
Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

Cheekymonkey
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
ll I have had great luck with live aquaria. I'll admit I got a small amount of rubble but I called them to complain and I got a huge credit. Even kept the rubble for my fuge to boot!

Pterodactyl
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the ORCA forums.
You will find a lot of great and knowledgeable people on this site and in the club.
If you would like to become a member of ORCA, please fill out a membership app and mail it to me.
The application can be found here: http://www.o-r-c-a.org/images/Application.pdf

As Juice mentioned, sponsors offer discounts to the members of the club (not just a registered user on the forum). Each sponsor is different as to what they offer but you will have to look at the sponsor page to find out what is offered.
Meetings are the last Saturday of the month except when it falls around a Holiday. The meeting schedule is posted under the Club Info link.

If you have any questions about membership, please PM me. I look forward to meeting you.
Again, welcome and good luck with your new tank.
Mel

Nautilus
02-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the ORCA forums and I hope you decide to come to our upcoming meeting held at the end of the month. As you can see, there are many knowledgeable folks here on our forums.

I think Fragger said it best. Use your nose. If the rock smells bad, like rotten eggs, you might want to not buy it.

Cured live rock can be more expensive than partially or not cured at all. If the rock has visibility colored sponges growing on it, macro algae’s hanging off it and looks like it was freshly plucked from the ocean's depths, it is probably partially or not cured rock. And rock like this is generally cheaper because it's going to take some time on your part to clean it up and cure it.

Personally, I love starting with uncured rock. This is when you see the greatest diversity of life and see some very cool animals coming out of the rock. Over time as the rock cures and matures much of that fascinating life dies off through predation or simply dies from lack of food sources in the captive aquarium.

The key is, if you buy partially cured rock, be patient and give yourself time to allow your tank and rock to cycle properly until your rock is cured and ready to take on a bio load of fish and inverts. Otherwise, cured rock might allow you to cycle through starting up a reef aquarium a little sooner which may be worth paying the extra price.

mrcrab
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
New tank and new to the hobby. It's nothing like fresh water. Learn by the mistakes of others by asking questions before you do things and be Vewy, Vewy PATIENT!

DO NOT fill with water and put Nemo and Dory in tomorrow!

MitchReef
02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Mrcrab is sharing very wise words.....remember these wise learnings:

In this hobby NOTHING good happens fast.....

Welcome,
Mitch