PDA

View Full Version : New to reef!

BassAssasin
03-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm new to reef, and as of today I'm the owner of a JBJ 12G nanocube deluxe, got it for 82$ new in the box. Should have it in 2-3 days, and now im looking for some tips on setting it up, upgrades, heaters, what kind of water to get? salt? and sand and rock and some stores if possible list your favorites! Can't wait to get this "cycle" moving along! So far I've been to Fishy business and Ocean Blue Aquarium and both are nice, I'm in winter park so the close the better! thanks alot! Alex.

Pterodactyl
03-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Welcome to the ORCA Forums Alex.
I am the Membership Director for the club and can answer any of the questions regarding membership if you are thinking of joining.
If you want to become a member of the club, you will need to fill out an application and pay the yearly dues. Individual membership for one year is $20, Family membership is $25 for one year. The application can be found under the Club Info link on the left or click here: http://www.o-r-c-a.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
You can either fill out the app and mail it to me with your payment (address is on the form), or fill it out when you come to a meeting.
If you have any questions about membership, please send me a PM.

There is a post in the Reef Discussions forums that lists all of our local fish stores and ORCA sponsors. Here is a link: http://www.o-r-c-a.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=392.

Our next meeting is March 29 in Ormond Beach. Check the Club Info link on the left and then meeting schedule for details. More details about the meeting, speaker and topic will be posted soon.

I look forward to hearing more about the progress of your tank and meeting you at one of our meetings.

Melissa
ORCA Membership Director

JUICE
03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
welcome! You're in my neck of the woods! I think ocean blue is the closest store to you, but there quite a few more nice places to check out in the area. There's a pretty good list on the sponsors page, and you can chat with most stores in the new sponsors forums on this site.

Congratulations on the new tank! I hope to see you around!

~D

Vitamin-B
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Welcome Alex,
We look forward to meeting you soon!

Cheekymonkey
03-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome Alex, looking foward to chatting with you at the next meeting...

BassAssasin
03-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Whens the next meeting? ill make sure to plan for it, would love to able to make it.

BassAssasin
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Doh, I should read before posting! lol the 29th, ill plan for it, by then hopefully i can be ready for maybe a frag.

Cheekymonkey
03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
If you need any help getting things going feel free to ask man, otherwise three months is a long time further to wait to start getting frags from the club.

BassAssasin
03-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Well it looks like i wont be making the march meet, I have this month packed rather tight, trip for 5 days saturday till wednesday this coming weekend, then the 28th till the 5th of april in georgia! so, ill set the tank up after this weekends trip, let it cycle why im away, and have my parents top it off while gone, and once I'm back it should be cycled and I'll pick up a CUC and get started! but if i need anything ill be sure to ask, id rather bug someone ask a question then hold it in and mess something up so with that said, I'm anxious and wanna get this going!

Browns
03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome!

Cheekymonkey
03-13-2008, 10:11 PM
yea man dont hesitate to ask.

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Looking to see if someone could possibly throw a list of chem's, tests, equipment that will be needed for a JBJ 12g. What kind of heater? watts? how to setup the back chambers, mainly like a nooby to-do/to-buy list, any help at all would be awesome! Looking to buy some stuff so I'm not scrambling to once i have LR and sand and water in it. Thanks
Alex.

lifesworksataol
03-14-2008, 03:03 AM
someone chime in if iam wrong but i would buy
a ro/di system or get ro/di water from a store and buy your own salt (reef crystals)
buy a hydrometer i like the red sea one.
temp sensor (good to have one of those stick ons and the digital) i love having back ups although i have found those digital ones to be wrong yet.
heater maybe like a 35 watt or something low. really you shouldnt need a heater in Florida but its good when you forget to turn on the heat in the house on those cold nights.
i think for now i would let the local fish stores check your water for you. if you want your own i like the red sea brand test kits (cheap and comes in big sets)
lugols iodine
oceans blend two part
i would think that would be it. you should be able to keep everything chemicaly up by doing water changes. some people put chillers on those jbj tanks and skimmers, but i think you should be fine. just keep a eye on your temperature.

Looking to see if someone could possibly throw a list of chem's, tests, equipment that will be needed for a JBJ 12g. What kind of heater? watts? how to setup the back chambers, mainly like a nooby to-do/to-buy list, any help at all would be awesome! Looking to buy some stuff so I'm not scrambling to once i have LR and sand and water in it. Thanks
Alex.

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 04:55 AM
I'll keep an eye on my temp no budget for a chiller right now if i cant get it to maintain 78-81 while cycling then ill save up for a nano chiller. but it should maintain that temp, it will be in the coolest room of the house by far, and the temp stays 74-76 in my house. Know if anyone in this club are into R/C cars? i have a TON of r/c stuff im getting rid of, wouldn't mind trading for some tank stuff :D I'll be sending my O-R-C-A membership in next weekend if i have the extra cash after getting LR LS and water, also i will be using RO/DI from the store as a unit is out of the budget as well, thanks for the list, ill be picking up majority of stuff today. Thanks!

MitchReef
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
The only change I would make to Jason's list would be a refractometer instead of a hydrometer....they are MUCH more accurate, and you WILL upgrade to one anyway....it doesn't have to be a fancy expensive one...I got mine from EBay and checked it against 3 different known salinities....good check....

As for a chiller...I say chill!!!! :D A good fan, placed right should make chillers totally unnecessary unless you upgrade to BIG LIGHTS!!!!

lifesworksataol
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
its funny i have a refractometer and never use it. i use my hydrometer instead. haha i just test my hydrometer against my refractometer from time to time which he could have fish stores do for him. i know everyone says buy one but i would rather buy a frag! haha i guess i should start using mine :-( lol
he cant add more fans. some people cant keep those cool sometimes. if the temp stays in that range you should be fine. those fans lose energy over time so just keep a eye on temp thats all. :-)

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Awesome thanks! I'll be heading up to oceans direct shortly, thanks alot!
Alex

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Due to time constraints i stopped by Oceans Blue instead, and got my temp gauge and hydrometer, awesome place! Will definitely be going back.

Cheekymonkey
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Where in town are you located?

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm in winter park, on 436 middle of Howell branch and Aloma. I was at the bank right there by oceans blue, and decided it would be the closest place to stop, that and i had a few other errands i had to run around there.

MitchReef
03-14-2008, 06:55 PM
You are REALLY close to Juice, and not too far from me either...I'm in Tuskawilla area.....

BassAssasin
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Wheres juice live? I'm in winter woods, and i believe i over heard someone in oceans blue saying nautalis was there today?