PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys

Michael
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Hello, my name is Michael and Im a reef addict 8)...

Anyways, Ive been thinking to set up reef aquarium for some time now. At 1st wanted to go with some sort of nano cube but after reading about coral aquariums more I've decided to go with bigger tank to replace my current 75 gallon set up with 3 Oscars and 1 pacu.

So Im looking to set up something around 150 gallons (60x24x24) maybe abit taller and deeper but 60 wide will be max for the spot where I plan to put tank in since i got wall on one side and door way on the other to limit me ;)

Still about 2-3 month until i will start buying anything but for now Im trying to do as much reading as possible on the subject and also decide what kind of equipment I will buy (brand names models etc). So far Ive only decided on powerheads - 4 Maxijet 1200 with Sure Flow 1600 mods, and ASM G3 skimmer.

Not too sure on coral and fish selection yet, mainly because i don't know much about that part yet, but i imagine mostly non stony corals, but i do want system that will be able to accommodate one or two later one i suppose ;)

Well anyways, nice to meet you guys ;) Also as my profile says i live in Sanford in area behind Flea Market on 17 92.

MitchReef
04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Welcome.....I believe you HAVE been bitten.....I am glad you found your way here....ots of GREAT information.....

Lutefisk
04-05-2008, 08:09 AM

So Im looking to set up something around 150 gallons (60x24x24) maybe abit taller and deeper but 60 wide will be max for the spot where I plan to put tank in since i got wall on one side and door way on the other to limit me ;)

Welcome!

Most reef tanks tend to be in around 24" tall due to light penetration, but there are many that do 30" tall, keeping only lower light requiring corals down low. If you can get a deeper tank (front to back) you'll thank yourself later. It gives you a lot more options when you reefscape.

Paul

Cheekymonkey
04-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey man glad to have you aboard, I see you asking all kinds of questions that is awesome, if you keep asking about particular models of equipment you will get free reviews from people who have tried it and loved it or hated it before... Definently cuts down on the mistakes later...

Lutefisk
04-05-2008, 01:43 PM
One other good thing is that you can often get hooked up with some used equipment at good prices.

Paul

Cheekymonkey
04-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh absolutely, if there is anything at all that you are looking for be sure to let us know in the WTB forum, you'd be amazed at what we have laying around...

JUICE
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
What's up Mike! Welcome to the forums.