PDA

View Full Version : hello ORCA

MechaBlenny
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hello to all of you!

I have been reading the forums here for a few months and finally got around to joining.

Here is a little background on me:

I have been keeping saltwater tanks for about 18 years. I used to work for a company called "Sea Life Aquariums" many years ago in NJ, where we did custom tank building, maintenance, and livestock. I also ran a fish dept for Petsmart ( way back in the day when they had saltwater). I was very into reef keeping back then , but have not had one setup for many years as I started a family and a career in Information Technology as well. I have recently returned to the obsession....I mean hobby ... and found both that much has changed in the reef world and that I had forgotton soooo much of what i used to know (theres soo much more coral avaible now ...and purple tangs arnt $300 anymore). Over the years I had continued to keep saltwater tanks , but not reefs.

I currently have a 75 gal reef setup : 75gal drilled , live rock sump, 440w vho's (4x110) , aqua clear protien skimmer , and I added my own fan setup to the lights.

Just took down a 55 gal FOWLR that was running for 6 years ( used to seed the 75 gal , so pretty much no cycle :) )

My wife, daughter, and I frequent Sea In The City , where Marcye and Chris take great care of us , and also Ocean Direct although its a bit of a drive , but definatley worth it.

I look forward to attending the events and meeting you all.

Lutefisk
04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome on board. We're always glad to see new faces.

Paul

JUICE
04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
welcome!

Cheekymonkey
04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Welcome dude glad to have you aboard, looking foward to meeting you at our weekend the end of this month...

ccampo
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome !!!
I've been here for only a couple of months, well almost 3 now, and it has been a good experience, you'll enjoy it too.

good luck,
Cesar

gwrench
04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome to ORCA!!!

skinnyjoe
04-13-2008, 09:42 AM
welcome

sflorlando
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
welcome.

New guy here also...another IT guy. I think IT guys are drawn to this hobby because of all the gadgets, toys, mods.

fragger
04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
ORCA is a great club. I look forward to meeting you.

Nautilus
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Greetings fellow reefer! I hope you can make it to this month's meeting. It's going to be a lot of fun.

See you soon!

Matt

MechaBlenny
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome,

Sf .. your right about we IT guys. I know of at least one other who is a member of ORCA , and I have a co-worker who should be joining soon as well.

and yea ..I love the gadgets.. and even more so tweaking them and creating improvements.

looking forward to meeting you all.

JUICE
04-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Now that you mention it......it seems like a lot of people in the IT field have joined lately. That's a wonderful thing! The clubs old web guy was site admin for a number of years. The poor guy was kinda stuck for a while because no one else seemed to have the desire and know how to step in for him. Thankfully, Paul and Jim stepped up to help make improvements on the site, and move it over to a more reliable host.

There seems to be a big influx of excited, motivated new members lately. I hope you guys enjoy your time in this club as much as I have!

sflorlando
04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Excellent stuff MechaBlenny and welcome,

You got to love this hobby. Like computers, servers and networks, you can spend months designing and configuring them and once you finally make the plunge and start putting it together you regret the decisions you made. All this pain because some new component comes out with a 2% improvement over the previous model.

Although I know little about the Reef Keeping world, If I can be of assistance with any IT stuff, let me know. My background is in system administration, desktop support, but of course I know people.

Cheekymonkey
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
We all appreciate the offer, I wouldn't be surprised if one day you are called upon...

MechaBlenny
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Likewise ..

Im always willing to lend advice or help as well. I have don desktop support , configuration management , net admin , and currently do net security.

As for te reef hobby , im now looking into tank building and tinkering with controllers with a friend of mine who is good with electronics.