PDA

View Full Version : Saltcreep on the outside magnet.?

Nautilus
04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Ok.. don't laugh at me if this sounds like a stupid question...

well ok, laugh if you must, but I need to ask anyway...

I have a couple Koralia 4 pumps on either side of my 210G tank facing inward towards each other. Both pumps are held onto the glass by magnets (Duh...) My question is this:

On the outside of the tank on the left magnet which holds the Koralia 4 there is a salt creep line of salt that looks like it's dripping from the magnet down the side of the glass... I've taken the magnet off cleaned under it and it continues to happen week after week. Theres no saltcreep above the magnet towards the top of the tank...

Any ideas?

conjuay
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok.. don't laugh at me if this sounds like a stupid question...

well ok, laugh if you must, but I need to ask anyway...

I have a couple Koralia 4 pumps on either side of my 210G tank facing inward towards each other. Both pumps are held onto the glass by magnets (Duh...) My question is this:

On the outside of the tank on the left magnet which holds the Koralia 4 there is a salt creep line of salt that looks like it's dripping from the magnet down the side of the glass... I've taken the magnet off cleaned under it and it continues to happen week after week. Theres no saltcreep above the magnet towards the top of the tank...

Any ideas?
Not a stupid Question at all, at least not compared to the answer I'm about to give you, :lol:

You must be getting a very fine mist of salt water leaving the tank and entering the air column from something splashing. It couldn't be evaporation per say, because the salt would remain in solution. And it isn't something throwing large droplets, because you would notice that.The salt in this mist is becoming (or normally is ) ionized and being attracted to one pole of the magnet.
Is your skimmer near the left side of the tank?

Cheekymonkey
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
That is an odd problem, The mysteries of this hobby :)

Nautilus
04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
nope. My skimmer is in another room entirely. The top of the tank is covered with a giant canopy... I'll give your idea some consideration and look even closer at the water surface near that side of the tank and make sure there's no splashing going on at all... may be I'm simply missing it.

Michael
04-15-2008, 09:35 PM
can be water slowly dripping down on it from canopy or something? This Mr, Holmes needs some pictures!

conjuay
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
can be water slowly dripping down on it from canopy or something? This Mr, Holmes needs some pictures!

Nah, drips off the canopy would most likely be condensed fresh water...
I was sure I was on to something with the skimmer idea.

Okay. I would take a piece of plastic food wrap (Saran wrap) and place it between the tank and the outside magnet, and put a twist tie around it so that you've completely enclosed the magnet. By completely isolating the magnet you can observe if the problem stops, slows down or changes in some fashion. After a week's time look and see if there is a drop of water inside the plastic wrap. The magnet might be just cool enough compared to the 78degree water on the other side of the glass to get a hint of condensation going.
My job is troubleshooting problems, and the really weird stuff has to be resolved by changing something and seeing if there is a change in the end result. Eventually through repeated "what if we try this" scenarios most problems can be worked through.

You're probably saying to yourself, "I'm sorry I brought this up. I shoulda' just wiped off the glass and left it at that!"

One more possibility, and then I'm out of ideas:
Do you have young kids around?

Do they have water guns? :lol:

Michael
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Nah, drips off the canopy would most likely be condensed fresh water...

The magnet might be just cool enough compared to the 78degree water on the other side of the glass to get a hint of condensation going

o.O

Nautilus
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Well..

After a little more searching, I found a very fine line of saltcreep extending down from the top of the tank down to the magnet which sits about 4" below...

So it would appear I have a small leak coming from a gap in the silicone at the top edge of the tank. Not exactly a safety concern, thank god.

I'l patch that up during my next water change.