PDA

View Full Version : I'm new!!!

Red
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone. I'm glad I stumbled into this site, it looks great. It's been 15+ years since I had a salt water tank and a lot has changed since then for the better!

I have been to several shops in town and have decided that I need a small footprint since I don't have a lot of room. I have seen the BioCube 29, the Solana and a 37 gal cube (not drilled). I like them all, but not sure which direction I should go in.

Keep bio balls with live rock? Take them out? I have heard many different philosophies and I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I would like to have a reef tank with some fish in it as well.

Has anyone had any experience with the above-mentioned set ups? If so, any thoughts on them? Any suggestions on local shops that are reputable?

I'm looking forward to attending a meeting. Thanks for the help.

Manny

Vitamin-B
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome Red! I'm sure you're going to get many replies, saying welcome and offering lots of good solid assistance. We have many many knowlegeable good people here. You've come to the right place. I'm in the learning phase, so I'll let the experienced folks answer your tank questions.
Our next meeting is supposed to be at the Orlando Science Center. Details will be forthcoming. Hope to see you there!

Browns
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone. I'm glad I stumbled into this site, it looks great. It's been 15+ years since I had a salt water tank and a lot has changed since then for the better!

I have been to several shops in town and have decided that I need a small footprint since I don't have a lot of room. I have seen the BioCube 29, the Solana and a 37 gal cube (not drilled). I like them all, but not sure which direction I should go in.

Keep bio balls with live rock? Take them out? I have heard many different philosophies and I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I would like to have a reef tank with some fish in it as well.

Has anyone had any experience with the above-mentioned set ups? If so, any thoughts on them? Any suggestions on local shops that are reputable?

I'm looking forward to attending a meeting. Thanks for the help.

Manny

Welcome. We hope to see you at the monthly meetings.

No need for Bioballs. I think they would raise your nitrate but not sure. Just check out our sponsors page for reputable stores.

Cheekymonkey
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Welcome dude, go ahead and start a thread in one an appropriate forum for all those questions. Either in the reef discussion forum, or in the member's aquarium forum, that way we can see it morph into a beautiful tank over time :)

JUICE
04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi Red!

I had a friend in the military we called Red....anyhow, welcome to the forums and I hope to see you at future meetings. If knowledge and experience is what you are looking for, you definitely came to the right place. There is a plethora of members that would be more than willing to help you out!

As far as your first questions, the answer to all would be..."well that depends"

Basically, since your last venture, there have been many advances in many different directions that have proven to work well, from deciding between the new types of lighting, to your reference to using bio balls or liverock.

Have you put much thought into what kinds of livestock you would like to put in the tank? That will be the biggest deciding factor! Also will be your current skill level, and of course the amount of money you can budget into your tank.

I have a tank in my bedroom with a wet/dry and bioballs, a tank at work with only a refugium with bioballs and mangroves and lots of live rock in the tank, and one in my dining room that I removed the bioballs and replaced with live rock and the refugium has macro algae and liverock. Two have a deep sand bed, one is bare bottom. One has a fantastic skimmer, one is not so good, and one doesn't have one at all. The tanks were also setup with different budgets and I wanted to strive for different goals in each tank. One is SPS, one LPS, and one mixed exotics.

My point is, while researching your next tank, you will find many conflicting views, and much argument over which practice works better than another. Keep in mind that there are pros and cons to each method. Pay very close attention to how and why things work, and consider the demands of what you plan to keep in the tank...that should make finding your way much easier.

And of course, if you don't quite understand something, or just want some general opinions or feedback....feel free to utilize the forums.

again! welcome!

Red
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll open a thread and let everyone know what happens as I move along. I think I've decided to go with the Solana for now. Maybe I'll get it in the next couple of days so I can get it going this weekend!!!

Red
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't find anywhere where I can join the group before I attend a new meeting. Anyone know how I can join?

Thanks.

Manny

mrcrab
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Try here.

http://www.o-r-c-a.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17

gwrench
05-06-2008, 05:15 PM
That is the link to the member application, print it out, fill it out, make your check out and mail it in. I would put a note in requesting that your membership card be mailed to you so that you can show it when making your purchases in order to get the ORCA discount.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask, and welcome to ORCA
Regards
George

ccampo
05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Welcome, you'll enjoy this club.

Cesar

Pterodactyl
05-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the ORCA Forums.
I am the Membership Director for the club and can answer any of the questions you might have about membership.
As Gwrench said, if you want to become a member of the club, you will need to fill out an application and pay the yearly dues. Individual membership for one year is $20, Family membership is $25 for one year. The application can be found under the Club Info link on the left or click here: http://www.o-r-c-a.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
You can either fill out the app and mail it to me with your payment (address is on the form), or fill it out when you come to a meeting.

If you have any questions about membership, please send me a PM or email me: membership@o-r-c-a.org

The next meeting will be on Saturday, May 31 and we will be having guest speaker Dr. Bruce Carlson from the Georgia Aquarium. The meeting will be held at the Orlando Science Center; more details will be posted soon.
Again, Welcome and I look forward to meeting you.
Mel

fragger
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Red. Hope to see you at the next meeting. )>(((('>

Red
05-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Mel,

Thanks for the info. I have put a check in the mail and would appreciate it if you could send my membership card in the mail so I can take advantage of the discounts at LFSs.

See you at the meeting!

keithcrmr1
05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
hey Red!! welcome to the forum..i am new as well but so far i have recieved nothing but great advice and support!!
enjoy!
keith