PDA

View Full Version : Man made sea water, or real water from ocean.

Firefighter-rn
03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I have been told that water from the ocean is better and man made is better. I have the means to go out in ocean and get my water from offshore.

Pros and cons!
Let me know

Trueno22
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I would worry about pollution.

akabryanhall1
03-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I would worry about pollution.
+1 the ocean is so big that it is able to recover from most man made f ups such as Valdez spills and whatnot, but just a little polluted water in our comparatively tiny systems, would not be good in the long run.

jramos
03-15-2009, 03:01 AM
When I was living in Puerto Rico I used to go to the beach and get water for my tanks. Been an Island it was very easy.I always had an UV sterilizer running and never had any problems.

mrcrab
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I know a couple of guys that use NSW and it's not a problem. Some get it offshore and some pump from Ponce inlet on the incoming tide.

CHOMPERS
03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
The water coming in from Ponce Inlet is still too rich in nutrients. It should come from several miles out at the reef line. There is a visible difference in the water when the nutrients drop off.

CHOMPERS
03-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I have been told that water from the ocean is better and man made is better. I have the means to go out in ocean and get my water from offshore.

Pros and cons!
Let me know

By the way, I'll work for free if I can bring some barrels too. :D

TorryRx
03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
When I lived down in West Palm, I used natural salt water. A buddy of mine who maintained aquariums for a living would go to the Blue Heron Bridge and pull water during the incoming tide. The Gulf Stream is very close to shore down there, so that may have made a difference in water quality.

I haven't noticed any difference at all since I moved here to Orlando and started using manmade saltwater.

smpolyp
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Natural seawater if collected correctly is better than man made. As Torry stated the gulfstream is much closer in West Palm than it is here, so going off shore is best. Keep in mind that you will want to drop a pump down lower(10 feet or more should be fine). This is to eliminate picking up oil residue from boats and floating protiens. Also keep an eye out for chum lines. If you are afraid of parisites you can use a UV like jramos stated or keep it in a holding vat for three weeks. Some like to filter it with carbon and or a pleated filter to pull out the dying planted when you do this. If you collect it test it with everything you have for testing equipment to help you learn more about the water you are about to use for the tank. It dosen't hurt to know more about your water, but it can hurt if something were to happen when collected or when stored.

iFisch
06-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Natural seawater if collected correctly is better than man made. As Torry stated the gulfstream is much closer in West Palm than it is here, so going off shore is best. Keep in mind that you will want to drop a pump down lower(10 feet or more should be fine). This is to eliminate picking up oil residue from boats and floating protiens. Also keep an eye out for chum lines. If you are afraid of parisites you can use a UV like jramos stated or keep it in a holding vat for three weeks. Some like to filter it with carbon and or a pleated filter to pull out the dying planted when you do this. If you collect it test it with everything you have for testing equipment to help you learn more about the water you are about to use for the tank. It dosen't hurt to know more about your water, but it can hurt if something were to happen when collected or when stored.

Bingo. NSW is better, cheaper, and more "natural". However it should be pumped/collected many miles offshore. And deeper the better.

scottyboys
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I collect water at the beach 0 Phosphates 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 ammonia calcium 500 ph 8.2 salt content 1.028 a little high I add RODI and I am good to go. I have done this for 1.5 years and all is well.

navymedic
02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
i was thinkng of this since I saw that they sell the 5 gallon containers with NSW at the big pet store near me- problem is that it was expensive. I don't have boat otherwise I go an collect it myself :x

If anyone would like to godon south for some snorkiling fun, maybe we can bring a couple of 5 gallon jugs and fill them... :wink:

LMk if anyone is interested....

Mike