PDA

View Full Version : water changes

k0y0te
12-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Does sw tanks get water changes like fw? i change 20%-30% of the water weekly on my fresh water tanks. Should i do the same with my salt water tank?

smpolyp
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
You will get a wide range of ideas on water changes when asking this question. I would say if you are using natural seawater you could change 10-15% a week and do very well. In time I do not think this is the best choice when using man made salt. In time you will have some trace elements build up. If you decide to do this I would recommend changing up to 100% once a year. Making sure you are matching your newly made up water to your tanks salinity,temperature,magnesium, and alkalinity. I've never heard of someone complain they did to big of a water change when they did this. For my tanks I use man made salt and do a 20% -30% a month. Once every 6 months I do a 50%.

jacksmith
01-16-2010, 06:14 AM
I think you should give more preference to natural seawater.

TorryRx
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
smpolyp is right...you will get a huge variation in responses. Some people favor artificial salt water, some favor natural salt water (I'm just happy to have the choice! :D )

But the simple answer to your question is yes, you do need to do water changes to saltwater tanks. It's the best way to reduce nitrate buildup, among many other benefits.

The complicated part is finding what works best for you and your tank. There is no exact formula that works for every tank...it's something that you get a feel for as your tank develops. It also depends heavily on your livestock and bioload.

Personally, I do a 30% change every month or two. I find that natural sea water works best for my tank, but I'm very particular about where I get it. Robert is the only person that I would trust to harvest the water correctly and get good, quality NSW. If you do decide to go that route, I'll be happy to pass his information along.

Hope this helps!