PDA

View Full Version : DrTrey's Elos MIDI

DrTrey
12-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm just now opening the boxes following the pre-Christmas delivery of my new Elos MIDI 36 gallon nano with 4X AquaTop E-Stripe CREE-XP LED lighting. Included is the Elos sump, NS 100 skimmer, Digital OsmoController, and Sicce 568gph return pump. Everything seems to be intact, and this bad boy looks spectacular! I'm about to start putting the cabinet together so I'll have a place to set the sump and aquarium whilst I start putting things together. This new acquisition is quite a step up from my BioCube 14, and it seems like it's going to be significantly more complicated to get up and running. I suppose there's no better time than now to get started though. If anyone has any experience with Elos or this sort of set up in general, then please feel free to offer up any pointers or advice. I'll give another update soon, once everything is out if the boxes...

akabryanhall1
12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Nice pick up, that nano sounds like a beautiful set up. Shouldn't be too hard to get up and running, I imagine you will be using your rock from the 14, but will have to add 15-20lbs, so you will have to cycle your tank all over again. If you are just trying to transfer everything over, try to find someone with established rock, and don't let it touch the air so there is no die off, then you shouldn't have to cycle.

BlazinReef
12-16-2010, 04:20 PM
You can also add good dead rock. Like marcorock. It should not cause a cycle. It is clean.

DrTrey
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Yep, I've actually been thinking about some Marco Rock. I'm planning on really taking my time with this new setup, and trying to carefully plan out every step of the way. It will hopefully turn out to be a spectacular show aquarium. I'm actually not going to be transferring anything from my BC 14. Although it's a great little nano and is chock full of some pretty sweet sorties, LPS, and SPS, I've learned a lot from that first little aquarium and am ready to start anew. Oh, and not to forget all of the gorilla crabs and the nefarious mantis shrimp that snuck in on the Tampa Bay Live Rock.
So overall, I'm not really sweating the whole cycling bit. I'm going to head to the Home Depot this weekend and get some PVC pipe and some sort of rock or ceramic anchor. Does anyone have experience with such? My plan is to create a combo of an off-center valley variation of John Ciotti's "Upside Down Reef" aquascape.

Mwebb
12-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Is this it? Thats a very clean looking set up.

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Elos-Midi.jpg

DrTrey
12-17-2010, 08:17 PM
That is it indeed, in all it's rimless glory

DrTrey
12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Allright. The Neptune AquaController Jr and Jäger 200W pump have been ordered, and now it's time to start putting the rest of the pieces together so's I can put some water in this fine aquarium already. I'll post a few pics shortly after I've got a little something to show for my efforts

DrTrey
12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the aquarium and stand

DrTrey
12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Sump with skimmer and digital Osmotroller ATO

DrTrey
12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I've got a Vortech MP-10w to generate some vigorous variable flow, and I'm considering adding another for some wavemaking. The sump return is via a Sicce 568 gph pump, although it just comes out to two rather small nozzles at the top of the overflow. Should I add some sort of tubing to direct this flow, or is there a worthwhile variable flow device that might be useful?

DrTrey
12-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Finally had a chance to lug some water upstairs and get things percolating. Now let the aquascaping begin!!

DrTrey
12-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Added a mixture of Fiji pink, Oolitic, and reef grade sand/substrate, and did just a bit of preliminary aquascaping. The coralline encrusted live rock was drilled and mounted on a larger flat base rock using 3/4 inch PVC pipe.

Currently "soft cycling" with MicroBacter 7 and Reef BioFuel. Hopefully tonight's round of water testing will be favorable, as some choice clowns from DiversDen will be arriving tomorrow, and I'd rather not have to put them up in my crowded BC14 in the meantime

DrTrey
12-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Inaugural Testing: 12/30/10
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 7.9
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Ca: 480
KH: 8
Phosphate: <0.25

Not too bad for a new setup...

Mwebb
01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Thats is looking good. I like the aquascaping. It's very clean looking.

DrTrey
01-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Thank you. My BC14 is waaay too cluttered and I'm trying to get thus one off to a better, cleaner start.

With that being said, I am NOT at all happy about the untimely death of the beautiful ricordia yuma that I put in there last Friday. (Although the pair of ORA misbar black clowns are doing great :) The Yuma has now completely disintegrated, essentially completing it's all-too-quick journey to that big reef tank in the sky. Initially I couldn't figure out what had contributed to such an unfortunate event, but after some reflection and repeat water testing, I think it was probably due to a combination of too rapid of an acclimation (45 minute drip method) coupled with a persistently low pH at 7.9. Here are my results from this evening, and the pH won't quite creep up into the acceptable range, despite the KH now at 10.

1/4/2011
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 7.9
Nitrate: 0
Ca: 480
KH: 10
Phosphate: <0.25

I suppose that it's time to check out that Brightwell pH+ product. However, I'd really like to know exactly why the water remains too acidic, while the other parameters (especially the KH) are spot-on. Quite the enigma. Is this some sort of new-tank phenomenon that I'm not familiar with?

Iggy
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
DrTrey, I was cleaning the spam out of this thread and it looks like I accidentally deleted one of your posts. Please accept my apologies, it was unintentional and a rookie mistake. That said, when are you testing your pH? My tank's pH varies over the day and is at it's lowest just before lights on which is when I dose with Ocean's Blend 2 part. Two things can cause a pH to swing; either the addition of some chemical or the metabolic processes going on inside of the tank. For example, macro algae gives of O2 when the lights go out and takes in CO2 when the lights are on. Increases in CO2 can raise you pH without touching your KH. Increases in free O2 will lower pH as it binds to the free H ions instead of your buffers. I don't think that 7.9 is too low. What kind of salt and water are you using?

Mwebb
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree with Iggy that 7.9 should be fine.

Maybe the yuma was just over stressed. Your water levels look fine to me.

DrTrey
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I had been testing my water around 8:00-9:00 each night, which is when I would expect the pH to actually be a bit higher. But with a touch of baking soda and some Brightwell Alkalin-8.3 that a fellow Lakeland reefer was kind enough to give me, the pH is now happy and stable at 8.2ish. And just in time, as a package from ReefKingdom arrived while I was at work today, containing frags of Tyree Space Monster Palys, Spiderman Blue Zoas, and Haley's Comet zoas. They're now acclimated an in the tank, with the lights out. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow morning, and hoping they'll be king enough to open up for me bright and early so I can see if they look anywhere near as good as the pics on the web page.

I'll try to post a few more pics soon, but I've got to figure out a better way to get some quality images, as my iPhone camera just isn't giving me what I need.

florida reef
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Good news!

DrTrey
01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Here they are....

DrTrey
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Let the wavemaking fiesta begin.... :o

florida reef
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Sweet!

Mwebb
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Those are some nice looking clowns. Very unique.

DrTrey
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking about adding a pair of Wyoming Whites as well as a few Banggai Cardinals, but after that I'm gonna need to introduce a few fish with actual color. I'm not really sure why I'm on this black & white motif all of a sudden....

Iggy
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
4 clowns in 36G? Interesting rodeo. Can't wait to see the pics. At least the Wyoming Whites should have an orange face. :) Plenty of color there. Keep up the good work!

DrTrey
01-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm still working on taking some decent pictures, but still not getting the best results. Regardless, here's a picture of a new green & gold lobo I just picked up

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/DrTrey2003/daf8d78c.jpg

It's the first lobo I've ever had, so I have to admit that I'm not real sure exactly what this guy likes to eat. Rod's Food and possibly a bit of Reef Snow is what I'm gonna try, but I'm not sure if I should just go a buy some cyclopeeze perhaps. Does anyone care to share their lobo experience?

wmo168
01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
DrTrey, Nice tank,

I got a Elos Mini setup around the same time as you too.. I see your light don't have much of a blue tint to it.. Are you planning to add another BLUE LED Strip from Elos to it?

I love your Elos Midi, I was going to get a Midi but the cost for it is way too much for me...

How's your skimmer doing NS100? Mine need adjustment everyday.. :-(

DrTrey
01-14-2011, 08:00 PM
My light is indeed suffering from a marked lack of sweet blueness, secondary to some sort of snafu at the Elos USA warehouse in Cali. Regardless, I'm still waiting on TWO e-stripes to show up and complete my AquaTop lighting complement. Should be around 10-14 days at this point, but the waiting is the hardest part.

The NS1000 skimmer does it's job quite well, but I do have to tool around with it a bit more than I'd like to. However, I don't really have any other basis for comparison, ad this is my very first skimmer. I do have the Digital Osmotroller ATO, which has a biotech in skimmer injector cleaner and is supposed to help keep things running smoothly.

DrTrey
01-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I just stopped by World Wide Corals yesterday and picked up another little bit of Tonga branch live rock to nicely balance out the rockwork. In addition I picked up a great Wolverine chalice, gorgeous Tony's Fuzzy Watermelon, and beautiful Brian's grafted Lepastrea over there last weekend. Pics to follow very soon...

In the meantime, here is a pic of the newest paly, the fabulous Tyree Space Monster

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/DrTrey2003/45754fd7.jpg

DrTrey
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Alright, moving on along. Here is a more current iPhone full-tank shot

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/DrTrey2003/f8c0ba1c.jpg

DrTrey
03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
And a pair of sweet Wyoming White clowns that I picked up over at World Wide Corals. Picture courtesy of Gadgets

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/DrTrey2003/054b1b68.jpg

Mwebb
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Your pictures look great. Keep them coming.

DrTrey
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I've got a nice little pair of Harlequin shrimp, and here's an action shot of one of them judo-chopping a chocolate star

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff476/DrTrey2003/a54f2288.jpg

GatorPharmD
07-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Dr. Trey, I am in South Florida and I also have an Elos MIDI. I am starting my tank build after having the system in the boxes for a few months. I made the decision to order a solid-wood custom stand for my MIDI - it should be ready this week. I am planning to finish my Marco Rocks aquaspace tomorrow.

I am looking forward to following your thread.

Tony

GatorPharmD
07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
DrTrey, any updates?