PDA

View Full Version : Bio Pellets

Daimyo68
06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Curious if anyone is running any type of pellet, what the brand is and your results/experiences have been so far.

I'm thinking of trying them on our 180g FOWLR

BlazinReef
06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
There is a big thread over on Reef2Reef of peoples tanks crashing while using them. Not sure how they effect the fish but alot of coral has been lost. If you don't mind me asking why use them on you fish only? Fish can take a lot more abuse then any coral ever will be able to.

philip_r5
06-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I haven't used them. However, I do have a pointer. When using any kind of media or supplement. Always start with half the recommended and dose for a month or so and test and monitor the signs of tank. If all is responding then keep doing that. Or, if shows bad signs well you know what to do. If not many signs are seen then go to recommended. Just my opinion.

Daimyo68
06-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I'll have a look at the thread when I find it. If you could post the link that would be great.

Reasons for thinking about trying them:
Never tried them before, and wanted to know what people have experienced, as well as get my own experience with them.

why use them on you fish only? It's a fowlr with a few softies. Not that I want to lose any coral at all, but the softies are a lot more resilient than SPS, and could most likely survive tank parameters changes if something were to happen. (which I believe with careful planning/monitoring could be avoided).

I want to see how efficient they are in taking the numbers down and maintaining them at 0. I run Phosban and carbon presently, with a medium bio load, and cannot get the numbers to 0, so another alternative is obviously needed.

Yes, it's a FOWLR with some softies, but I'm really anal about tank parameters in any setup.

Philip - Definitely starting with a lower amount than whats needed and will ramp up to a level to maintain numbers at 0.

PapaDragon
06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
So glad this thread was started. I posted yesterday that I had my water parameters checked and the results were not good. I test my water every two weeks, but must admit the color coded cards are not easy for me to "read". I need discrete numbers so I'm saving up for digital meters. In any event, I'm looking at getting a GFO and Carbon reactor. While I was looking at those I saw a bio pellet reactor. It sounded like the magical equipment that I need, but I just wasn't sure.

I'm taking corrective measures for my water issues, but here was my water report card: (embarrassing)

Salinity : 1.020 (Stupid ATO got stuck on. Fixed now)
Calcium: 240 ppm
Alkalinity: 6.7 DKH
Nitrate: 50 ppm
Phosphate: 2 ppm

Any advice is appreciated.

DonoAE
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
So glad this thread was started. I posted yesterday that I had my water parameters checked and the results were not good. I test my water every two weeks, but must admit the color coded cards are not easy for me to "read". I need discrete numbers so I'm saving up for digital meters. In any event, I'm looking at getting a GFO and Carbon reactor. While I was looking at those I saw a bio pellet reactor. It sounded like the magical equipment that I need, but I just wasn't sure.

I'm taking corrective measures for my water issues, but here was my water report card: (embarrassing)

Salinity : 1.020 (Stupid ATO got stuck on. Fixed now)
Calcium: 240 ppm
Alkalinity: 6.7 DKH
Nitrate: 50 ppm
Phosphate: 2 ppm

Any advice is appreciated.

A little background on your tank would be good for those of us who are unfamiliar with your tank.

i.e.

Tank Volume: (in gallons)
Type of tank: (FOWLR, Mixed reef, softies, etc)
Skimmer: (y/n) (type?)
Length tank has been setup:
How often do you do water changes:
Are you using RO/DO water: (y/n) (from where?)
What salt mix are you using:
Do you dose: (if so what brand and how often?)
How often do you feed: (what do you feed? i.e. pellets/flakes/frozen)

If you could answer these it would give everyone a better chance at helping you. Also, just from your phos and nitrate readings it looks like a few weekly water changes of RO/DO water could go a long way for you as it's one of the most effective ways to lower nitrates and combat initial exposure to phosphates other than feeding.

jestr
06-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I run eco bak no issues yet but this is one of the few that were tested before release.. now some.people.have had issues with it but its way more tank specific

Midnight
06-05-2011, 08:44 PM
What I was told is that bio pellets are so good at removing bad stuff from the water that they do it to fast. The water chemistry changes fast and the water gets so clean that the corals get starved. I believe that if you add the pellets very slowly then you should be good and it wouldn't cause a big swing, but that goes with adding anything into our tanks.

PapaDragon
06-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I should know better than to ask for help and not give specifics. Here are the stats:

Tank Volume: 150g/60g sump
Type of tank: Mixed reef (Yellow tang, 4 chromis, 3 dart fish, 2 clowns)(Kenya Tree, Star polyps, hammer, hairy mushroom, red Mushrooms, toad stool, some caps, etc.)
Skimmer: Yes (not sure brand)
Length tank has been setup: Since October
How often do you do water changes: Once a month (20%)
Are you using RO/DO water: Yes (I have a 75 GPD and the TDS meter reads 0.00)
What salt mix are you using: Tropic Marin Bio Actif
Do you dose: Starting to dose this week
How often do you feed: Frozen twice/day

Daimyo68
06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
As with any new "chemical" media, adding slowly and ramping up to satisfactory results is the way I will be going.

I'm happy to see responses here in this thread about the pellets. There are tons of posts with positive and negative responses from people all around the world, but I wanted responses from people I know, club members.

I've always run phosban, a refugium with macro algae in the past, and have no complaints. But I'm curious about the pellets and want to try them in the 180g. The sand bed is shallow, and the sump doesn't have the room for a DSB.

The sump does however, have bioballs... I know i know, nitrate factory. I want to slowly remove these while I have the pellets in place to offset the increase/decrease in biological filtration.

PapaDragon - Don't trust those readings. You mentioned "colored cards", so I am assuming that you are using the API test kits. At a meeting a couple months ago, the meeting was about water testing.

I brought in water from 3 different systems here at home. I tested them all using API, and Salifert test kits. The API tests proved to be way off. Take your water to your local fish store and have it tested there before you start dosing anything.

As for the Phosban and Carbon reactors, always a bonus. Torry and I have both on our 180g LPS reef, and the 65g SPS dominated reef.

PapaDragon
06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Daimyo68,

What upsets me most is I test atleast once a week and the test kit I was using indicated everything was on track. I didn't realize anything was getting out of control. I noticed my corals were looking bad so I took my water to WWC and got the bad news.

BlazinReef
06-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I mean to each is his own. I think we as hobbiest are making this who thing to complicated. That is why I love my fiance's fish only. 46 gallon bowfront, 2 clowns, hawkfish, 3" Puffer, flame cardinal, 4 starfish, 4 urchins. Fish are fed pellets everyday. Puffer is fed a medium shell on uncooked shrimp every other day. No skimmer. Love rock and live sand in display. Live rock with sponges everywhere in the sump. No dosing ever. A 10 gallon water change a month. Nitrates are at like 20-30. Tank is topped off with tap water. All fish have lived in these conditions for a year now. The tank is sooooooooo easy to take care of. It has been making it to where I am slowly changing my routine on my reef. Down to just a skimmer, carbon bag, and phosphate bag. I think it is more important to figure out why you can't get the nitrates down before adding more equipment that could cause a problem or fail.

BlazinReef
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Daimyo68,

What upsets me most is I test atleast once a week and the test kit I was using indicated everything was on track. I didn't realize anything was getting out of control. I noticed my corals were looking bad so I took my water to WWC and got the bad news.

Get new test kits. The bio pellets are not gonna change anything but your nitrates. Now if you get your other levels right they will eat up the nitrates. Remember coraline algae is a great nutrient exporter but with your calc that low it will never grow. Now will your corals. If your corals grow they will need food. Lots of corals get it from the water. Personally I would be focusing on you calc, alk, and mag before your nitrates. Bit that is me.

Nautilus
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Is there anyone following this thread who is currently using bio-pellets..? I have the reactor and am now getting ready to buy the bio-media. Looking to chat live with whomever is having success with this media.

Daimyo68
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
PapaDragon - I've been there before. When I first got into the hobby I was using a kit and thought all was good, and then, just like you did, had my water tested and learned different. At least you now know where your at and can make a plan of attack.

Blazin - I don't think that we make it complicated. It's us trying to mimic complex ocean chemistry/conditions to create an environment that is as close as possible to what our captive species are accustomed to. Thats what makes it tough.

The water in that 46g is probably nice and clear with all those sponges in the sump too :)

If anyone is using any type of pellet in a reactor, feel free to talk about it here. I made the topic Bio Pellets, but just used that as a general description for the thread.

florida reef
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Is there anyone following this thread who is currently using bio-pellets..? I have the reactor and am now getting ready to buy the bio-media. Looking to chat live with whomever is having success with this media.

I'm using the Warner marine ecobak pellets in a next reef reactor. You can check my reef out in the member threads. Let me know if you have any questions. I am by no means an expert on bio pellets, but I may be able to help.