PDA

View Full Version : Diving with Coral Restoration

rayray
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I need to know who's interested in diving down in the Keys for August 18- 19 (Sat - Sun). I'm thinking of driving down Friday night and returning Sunday night. Day one is working in the nursery and day two is PLANTING OUR REEF. See photo's here... https://www.facebook.com/CoralRestorationFoundation
I am trying to get a feel for how many people are interested. This is somewhat like the old - which came first chicken or egg problem. I can't make arrangements (or even figure out costs) without an idea of a number of folk going. By putting your name on this, you're telling me that your interested. This doesn't commit you to this. This list is for divers only. I asked Kevin down there about non diver activities... They have nothing. They have agreed the it is something that they should consider working on. For the proposes of me figuring out our costs (and whether ORCA might defray some of the cost), it is what it is - divers only.
Who's up for this?

balto777
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I am interested. Haven't been diving in about two years, but I do not think this will be a problem. My equipment doesn't "fit" anymore (sigh), so I would need to find an equipment rental place down there.

rayray
06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
So far, most of the dive shops/boats that I have spoken with have gear to rent for about $30 a day...

balto777
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Good news . . . I just tried on my gear and it fits . . . barely!!! Looks like I got about two months to lose 20lbs. Either way, got a babysitter set up and time off to do this - so count me in as a definite.

Iggy
06-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm interested in getting more information. It's been a really long time since I dove last so I'm a little hesitant to commit for sure without knowing a little more about the conditions.

TANKSALOT
06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi Ray,

I can't make it. Have to work that weekend.

I did have the Pleasure of meeting Ken Nedimeyer the founder of the Coral Restoration Foundation.
He spoke at the Brevard Zoo last night. Was a great presentation.
Space Coast Reef Club will be partnering with the Brevard Zoo to see what we can make happen here.

Take lot's of PIC's of the weekend.

Steve

rayray
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
OK - I have a few folks that have contacted me directly. This is a "last call" on divers...
To those of you who have expressed interest in this, I'll be calling you with further details.

Coach
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I am interested, but with my concerns that we have talked about.

TropicalReefCorals
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
We are interested, would love to make this dive
Rick and Terry

rayray
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
noted

CoralolisEffect
08-12-2012, 08:33 AM
two pointed question.
Would of love to participate, but not certified.
Is their a plan to go back in the future on this project beyond the aug 18 trip?
Are there any orlando area or perhaps coco area dive ceritifyers anyone would recommend? Understand you can now do the classwork at home and the dives in a weekend.

balto777
08-12-2012, 08:52 AM
ADI (American Diver's International) on Merritt Island is where I got certified a decade ago. I still go to them for any equipment needs. They are the best!!!

rayray
08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
For the trip this weekend, the dive boat is full. This is something that we could do again. Get certified. Do it at a shop or with a private instructor, not at home on your own. Someone in ORCA is looking at prices right now and will post about a price break if they get a certain number of people in the class. I'm not involved in that. But, I know it is being worked on... Be patient. There are other people in the club in your position.
FYI - Amongst other things, I'm working on a snorkeling trip for next summer.

philip_r5
08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
The snorkling trip sounds great dont have to be certified :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

balto777
08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,

Anybody planning or want to carpool to save costs going down there. Let me know if interested. It will be a boring 7 hour drive otherwise.

rayray
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Mac and I are driving down Friday morning. You could come with us. Gas split 3 ways is cheaper than 2...

balto777
08-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Are you coming back up Sunday or Monday?

rayray
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
yes...

balto777
08-13-2012, 02:24 PM
LOL!!! I take that as you are coming back on Sunday. Count me in, then. I will PM you when I get home.

CoralolisEffect
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
For the trip this weekend, the dive boat is full. This is something that we could do again. Get certified. Do it at a shop or with a private instructor, not at home on your own. Someone in ORCA is looking at prices right now and will post about a price break if they get a certain number of people in the class. I'm not involved in that. But, I know it is being worked on... Be patient. There are other people in the club in your position.
FYI - Amongst other things, I'm working on a snorkeling trip for next summer.

Great news. Did not know this. Will be patient. And keep a eye out.

Was told by some one at work that
Adventure diving in Crystal river had a 2 for 1 groupon a wile back. Don't know how good they are but may be negoiatable on group rates.

If the person looking into it for orca needs any help would be happy to help as I can.

Also
Snorkeling is always enjoyed.