Thread: 2017 Coral Restoration foundation club trip

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

2017 Coral Restoration foundation club trip

OREO will be sponsoring up to ten current club members whom are scuba certified divers to go to CRF and plant corals this year. Must be an OREO member prior to January's meeting 2017.
    WHEN=
    Friday 2nd of June =no diving/ check in hotel after 4 pm. CRF is having a meet n greet type dinner event at XX:XX, not required, cost is minimal for the dinner and CRF raffle event proceeds go to CRF. Hotel location is "ocean point suites" just south of key largo florida. Based on four beds per hotel room. First come first serve sleeping arrangements. The rooms can accommodate one or two in a king bed, two singles in a separate room, and a sleeper couch if you don't want to share a king bed with your roommates.

Saturday the 3rd of June meet at CRF in the am take the class then go to the dive boats. They will be offering an optional PADI CORAL RESTORATION certification as well during this trip that will require two days diving if you want to participate in that while you do your CRF class dives and planting. Additional afternoon dives available at an extra cost or as a alternate if bad weather. **A night dive is available at an extra cost, not required not included in OREO price. After your dives you stay at the hotel.

Sunday 4th of June check out of hotel by 11 am, Planting dive AM Required planting in the morning and finish your PADI CORAL RESTORATION course.

How much= only $ 160!!!
    160$ CASH non refundable deposit, first come first serve, will cover your CRF classes, associated diving and basic rental equipment with air fills, and CRF and PADI certification plus hotel room. Upon completion you mail your forms out to PADI for that certification. Any completed CRF certified diver gets reduced dive rates and other opportunities in the future with CRF. PADI Coral certification gets additional benefits as well.

Already certified CRF divers cost the same deposit.
    A portion of your non refundable deposit might be returned to you after successful completion of the trip and the final cost have been evaluated after the trip.

We will try n dive our club sponsored reef area if possible.
    LOTS of other things to do for Non scuba divers is also part of the CRF WORLD OCEANS DAY planned event and info is available at there web site additional cost may be associated with those items. Like the guest speaker event dinner, snorkeling trips or onshore Coral farming projects.

Two additional Non club members can participate for about 500$ Pm JIM28fl for info.
    "transportation n meals are not covered"
    Nitrox extra, not usually needed as the dives are less than 30 feet.
    Boat crew tips extra. "expect 10$ per person per boat trip"
    Additional dives extra and at a reduced rate if your diving for CRF to plant this event only. The event has lots of dive boats that will be running all day back n forth to take folks planting.
    Additional hotel 4 bed suites are about 223$ per night if you want to stay longer you need to coordinate that separately.
    Four individual systems Right now.
    Modified Red sea 250 with attached 20 gal frag system XR15 pro light on FRAG tank, combo t5 reef bright led on main tank, now @100 gal total mostly sps tank, auto WC, Custom life reef filtration system Fuge and skimmer. KALK ATO chiller mp10's.
    30gal red sea 130d lps/softies/anemone tank, kalk ato, reef bright led strip.
    40 quarantine set up.
    500 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, attached SPS frag system and LPS frag system.
    I am expanding into this one ATM bit by bit,

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties and a FRAG saw will be in my future I think. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

THANKS Orlando Reef Educators Organization!!!!

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Count Max and myself in, 2 divers
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

I'm going for sure as well.
    1 diver
    I think we should collect the deposits at the next meeting as well.

On a side note, As a family i may stay extra days but ill sort that out on my own. If anyone is interested in extending there dive trip outside of the dive trip listed above, either before of after the dates, Pm me. maybe well share a room or share driving. I may take my family and a pontoon boat to do some of my own diving in the area outside of the CRF part of this. I'm not sure.
    Modified Red sea 250 with attached 20 gal frag system XR15 pro light on FRAG tank, combo t5 reef bright led on main tank, now @100 gal total mostly sps tank, auto WC, Custom life reef filtration system Fuge and skimmer. KALK ATO chiller mp10's.
    40 quarantine set up.
    500 total gallon marineland 300 DD main system 18 months old now and stabilized. T5 VHO lights/ BLUE led strip, Fully custom built LIFE REEF sump and FUGE, AWESOME 60" tall skimmer, and 1000+ gallon rated custom Ca reactor, attached SPS frag system and LPS frag system.

Still lots to learn about the hobby but I have amassed a great collection of real beauties and a FRAG saw will be in my future I think. I have broken past the stage of keeping things alive and now there actually growing out. Which is a big hurdle for many beginners I must admit. Good information and advise is hard to get sometimes and the club has done wonders with respect to quality advise and help in the hobby.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Two more divers here, Paula and myself.
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2015

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    We are upto 5 Divers now, only a few more spots left
    Mixed reef 180 gallon DT,Euroreef rs 250 skimmer, AI LED lights, 2 Sicce HP Voyager 8 power heads, 40 sump, 40g frag tank, 75g Display Tank

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Any more interested divers as we will need to book rooms etc very soon!

OREO Club Member
    OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    Tucker and Misty for sure !
    Last edited by CoralolisEffect; 04-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Remember you cash deposits of 160 per diver for the next meeting. well be scheduling the trip based on that number next week.

Thanks everyone.
    40 quarantine set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Reservations have been made for three 2 bedroom suites at ocean points suites located at 500 Burton Dr, Tavernier, FL 33070. The plan is now to put Ocampo's in suite 1, Hublers in the suite 2 and Kanouff / Arnolds in suite 3.

I will hear back from CRF with links to information about land side activities as well as directions n so forth

Its considered mandatory to make there friday evening training portion. but i explained we all grow our own corals in our tanks and other than procedure were familiar. please plan to arrive based on the CRF schedule to be posted soon. I'm waiting on the call back form CRf with final details. Diving is planned with florida keys dive center a few miles south of the hotel.

If you want to participate and are not on the list above, please call me directly at 407 417 1980.
    40 quarantine set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Thanks for the update Jim

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Please go to the link below for more info about the event. the club will register the 7 divers on our list thus far and pay the fee. If additional folks sign up well handle it just post here so we can add you name. We have room for only one or two more on the trip other wise additional hotel arrangements need to be considered.
    -----------------------
    Hey Jim, Fabulous to hear from you! I had just been thinking about our conversations.

Here’s a blurb that I’ve been sharing:
    We have a major event coming up called Coralpalooza, which is our celebration for World Ocean’s Day. For this event, we will be both promoting general ocean awareness as well as actively restoring our reefs through coral health monitoring, nursery cleaning and maintenance, coral outplanting and debris-cleanup! The event will take place June 2nd and 3rd and is open to divers and land lubbers alike! One June 2nd we will have a required orientation for divers to learn how to restore our reefs, with both an educational lecture and hands-on land practice. June 3rd is the big day - we will have boats going out for all the activities listed above, as well as an open house at our Education Center for people to visit and learn about ocean conservation. Activities at the Education Center will include games and an interactive painting experience.
    Coral Restoration Foundation sincerely believes that large-scale ecological change can be achieved through the everyday efforts of everyday individuals. We plan to prove this on Coralpalooza by including not only several boats in the Key Largo area, but boats in Key West; as well as through participating organizations such as Mote Marine Laboratory, Oceanus in Mexico, FundeMar in the Dominican Republic and Coral Restoration Foundation Bonaire. All these other organizations will separately plan restoration activities for June 3rd so that, through our joined efforts, we suddenly have hundreds of people participating in reef restoration all on one day!
    To showcase and celebrate the closing of the event, there will be a celebration event at Snappers at the close of the day on June 3rd. A Happy Hour with a celebratory cocktail will be hosted, followed by hors d’oeuvres. Once we have received concluding reports from other locations, Coral Restoration Foundation will announce the total efforts from the day’s hard work, followed by a raffle with surprise items (tickets for which can be purchased either at our Education Center or at Snappers). Live music will be featured at the close of the announcements and raffle.
    This event is highly weather dependent, though our land events will continue regardless. Registration is $20 per diver or snorkel participant, and divers can register through our website or by Googling "Coralpalooza 2017”. Snorkelers and other inquiries can be directed towards me at the email below. We expect the event to fill up quickly!
    ---
    Please http://coralrestoration.org/coralpalooza/
    40 quarantine set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Each of the divers will need to go to this link n fill out the forms individually. please post when you have completed the forms. we want to do this asap.

http://coralrestoration.org/coralpalooza/
    40 quarantine set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO President
    ORCA Forum Member
    Registered myself and Max. In the comments section I added we are part of a group of seven from OREO

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

That will work Lloyd. I am registered with group Orlandoreefeducators.org for that question,

and choosing 1 at how many in your group. Then I'm putting 7 with OREO in the comments like lloyd did. folks will need to front the 20 per person to register.

Three are registered based of this tread. lloyd max and jim.
    40 quarantine set up.

Web Admin
    OREO Club Member
    ORCA Forum Member
    Paula and Myself are now registered !!!
    Good Luck,
    Cesar Campo
    ORCA Web Admin 2009-2015

My 210g Journal

OREO Club Member
    OREO Secretary
    ORCA Forum Member
    Misty and I registered with CRF
    ><((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ><(((((º>

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Per CRF were all set...

if you want to only snorkel at the event let me know asap.
    Hi Jim,
    I’ve received the 7 divers for Coralpalooza! If there are snorkelers, please ask them to contact me directly for registration.
    Thank you,.

Also orientation is mandatory and goes as follows..
    two sessions you need to go to one or the other at 3-5 or 5-7 on june 2nd
    Murray Nelson government center
    102050 overseas highway, key largo

june 3rd 10-5
    Restoration activities to be assigned may 26th to the groups.

june 3rd non divers activities are from 11-5
    5 sea gate boulevard
    pilothouse marina key largo

After the event
    5-8 at snappers 139 sea side avenue key largo
    5-6 cocktail hour
    6-7 live music and appetizers raffle

Last edited by Jim28fl; 05-12-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    40 quarantine set up.

OREO Club Member
    OREO Raffle Coordinator
    ORCA Forum Member

Remember to fill out your waivers. There should have been about 7-8 pages of forms and schedule of events emailed to all the folks who signed up with CRF a few weeks ago. They need to be filled out and come with you friday. We, our 7 divers, are going to be on a dive boat from OCEAN DIVERS called santana. this is not at florida keys dive center where we dive for labor day wreck trek. 522 Caribbean Dr, Key Largo, FL 33037, its near by Divers direct outlet, behind there store on a canal .25 mile from the divers direct store.

See you all in the keys tomorrow! I will leave at about 10 am and try n check into the hotel about 4:15. Then i'll go to the second orientation at 5. Please remember i'd allow at least 5.5 hour drive time "NOTE GPS says with no traffic its 4:18" and we will get caught up in THE rush into keys traffic at homestead 4-7pm car line up, better say 6 hrs to make sure you arrive intime for the mandatory orientation. If you have an issue you can contact me or
    Roxane Boonstra
    Recreational Dive Program Manager, Coral Restoration Foundation
    (305) 453-7030 | coralrestoration.org
    5 Seagate Boulevard, Key Largo, FL 33037
    Last edited by Jim28fl; 06-01-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    40 quarantine set up.